Daily Vegan: My New Journey

One of my goals this month is to eat vegan.  I've never been much of a meat kind of girl, but giving up yogurt and cheese definitely is proving to be somewhat difficult. Overall though, I'm shocked by how much better I feel, how much higher my energy levels are, and how much more I look forward to having just a simple meal prepared by my own hands. I like the prospect of having to plan out my meals for the week and enjoy the hunt for sustainable items that are actually good for me. I am a lover of lists and in that I am a lover of creating meal plans and the leftovers that come with it. 

This is a new journey for me. I have only started to research how to go about actually eating vegan and the benefits that come with it. I don't plan on getting on my soapbox to preach the reasons why I am doing this and I'm sure people have their opinions, their likes and dislikes. Others look at me like I'm crazy. But, truthfully, I'm just doing this for me. For my health. For the pure reason of knowing I'm taking little baby steps towards taking better are of myself. It feels great. At this season in my life, it feels right. 

I wanted to give just a peek into what I ate today. I have really focused on making my own meals a lot more in the past few days as well because eating out without consuming animal products is something that will be difficult but I will have overcome it at some point in this journey. 

But, simply for today......


Breakfast has always been my favorite meal. Having breakfast for dinner growing up was one of my favorite evening treats. I have recently discovered Ezekiel bread, almond butter, and a sliced banana to be a wonderful way to start my day. Pair that with a nice cup of french-pressed coffee and I'm ready to conquer anything life in a cubicle throws my way. 


Last night I made this for dinner as well. I cooked some corn and black beans, added some spice and seasoning to the combination and added that to a whole wheat tortilla, an avocado, some spinach, and some mango salsa. Perfection. 


Dinner consisted of pasta, Boca Meatless Crumbles (which turned out to taste much better than expected), a ton of broccoli, some sun dried tomatoes, and loads of garlic. 


I am amazed at how filling this day has been. Snacks have consisted of some Cuties and an apple when hunger was starting to strike. No cheating, no need to even cheat. That was a nice change of pace. All of the leftover Christmas candy and the scones that someone dropped off at our office today didn't even make me flinch. 

I'm excited for the days to come, for the recipes I will discover, and for the Vegan Monkey Bread I will try to make tomorrow. 

This is a nice new journey I've found myself on and I'm finding how much I can actually enjoy the food I eat. It's a nice change. Not one of torturing myself through some crazy diet but just taking my time, savoring my food, and preparing it while knowing I am taking better care of my body. 

Until tomorrow. 

No comments