Colorado Floods 2013

Before I continue on with my normal blog posts, I can't shake the fact that as of a few days ago, half of my state is underwater. After my melodramatic post about the rain, I almost feel guilty for embracing the welcomed water. At that point, I had no idea what thousands of people would be facing. 

It just kept raining and raining and raining. I am used to this type of rain from living in the northwest for a few years. But, the big difference between here and there is the terrain. The ground can handle the amount of rain in Washington. Clearly, the ground in Colorado cannot. 



Our home is safe. Our family is safe. Many of the people I work with are safe. But, much of the town I grew up in is flooded. Numerous other towns all across Colorado are flooded. The Big Thompson Canyon leading up to Estes is devastated. My Aunt and Uncle live up the canyon and things are not looking good for them or the people around them. They have been evacuated and are at a shelter as of yesterday. 



It's times like this when you really have to step back and realize how lucky you are and also how many other people need help. 

It's hard to just continue on as usual when I know that so many people are without homes, running water, toilets that they can flush. 



The latest I've read is: 17,494 homes damaged, 1,502 homes destroyed, 11,700 ppl evacuated, 1,253 people unaccounted for, 26 shelters. 

My heart is very heavy this evening. 


1 comment