Daylight Savings


Tonight we gain an hour of life. Daylight Savings has graced our door once again. I feel the importance this morning of using that hour to the fullest, that it has been given to us as some sort of small gift from the scheduling universe. Here is an hour, do with it as you please, but do something grand with it. One hour. I always seem to find a way to dwindle time down to a stressful muse of deadlines, sickness, and wondering what I  should be doing instead of the very thing in which I’m doing. I am ruled by time, far more than I’d like to admit in the hours of this morning. Time holds us, guides us, and challenges us. I wonder if I’ll look back upon my life someday with regret or gratitude for the way in which we used our time. I dearly pray that it is the latter of the two: gratitude, hope, reverence for the moments we spent with each other doing something that made our hearts feel alive. 
I really don’t think I always use my time to the fullest. There are people to be with, places and projects to organize, photos to capture, songs to sing. I let life take me upon its swift wings of busyness and fail to slow down at times. I am held to a thing I cannot really control. One must sleep, eat, work, and live. As human beings, we pace upon this earth from one day to the next. How can I make it all worth it? 
I desire to love fully. To eat fully. To drink fully. To create fully. Nothing should be out of bounds because of the prison of time. Nothing. I really don’t need to have everything in order at all times. I really could take some time and relax awhile. (Which also means not wasting time in front of the television.) My minutes are precious. I am already 25, which to some probably doesn’t seem that old, but 18 years old feels like an eternity away from the place in which I wake now. I have changed. My life has changed. My hopes, dreams, and failures have shaped and changed me into the person that lives and breathes today. 
Today, I want to add to my story. 


“No, life cannot be understood flat on a page. It has to be lived; a person has to get out of his head, has to fall in love, has to memorize poems, has to jump off bridges into rivers, has to stand in an empty desert and whisper sonnets under his breath... We get one story, you and I, and one story alone. God has established the elements, the setting and the climax and resolution. It would be a crime not to venture out, wouldn't it?" 

-Donald Miller,Through Painted Deserts

No comments